Although the convenience of using the online public zenbu http://fantom.gsc.riken.jp/zenbu has many advantages, we understand that some users will want to install a local copy of ZENBU. This Installation guide is here to help you install a ZENBU server on your machine from source code. This guide will provide you with a working ZENBU server, but will not have a local copy of data. Data will be remotely shared dynamically from the RIKEN ZENBU server.
Installing ZENBU version 2.10.0
In version 2.10 we have simplified the installation process. We introduce a new easy build script to build and install ZENBU on debian/ubuntu linux systems.
- phase 1: zenbu_build_debian.sh. The script performs 95% of the necessary operations to get a working zenbu server
- apt-get operations to install all the dependent libraries and system components
- builds the zenbu c++ cgi webservices and commandline tools
- installs the website into /var/www/html
- installs a basic zenbu.conf file into /etc/zenbu/
- sets up the mysql zenbu_users database
- phase 2: you will still need to
- configure your apache2 server to allow cgi and fcgid exec for zenbu
- modify the zenbu.conf file for your SMTP email server. Zenbu needs this to send emails to verify user accounts. Without the SMTP, your zenbu will not allow users to make accounts, not allow users to upload data
- start the zenbu_agent_launcher.sh script in the background as root. This launches the background process for track building and processing uploaded files.
Please refer to the README_AUTOBUILD file and the build_support directory content for some examples of ways to configure your apache server.
Installing ZENBU version 2.9.x
The installation procedure requires several key steps
- phase1: basic server machine setup: apache, fastcgi, mysql server.
- phase2: compile and install ZENBU. including all c/c++ and perl library dependencies
- phase3: configuring the server
- creating support mysql databases
- editing the server configuration file
upgrading from ZENBU version 2.8.x to 2.9.x
The ZENBU system is designed to use the same databases and directories with different versions of the ZENBU application code. This means that upgrading a ZENBU server to the latest code (with all the new features) is a relatively easy process.
Check out the Upgrade_guide for details on the upgrade procedure.